Some Useful Links
ACT Care & Protection Services
If you worried about the safety or well-being of a child or young person, you should contact ACT Care & Protection Services on 1300 556-729. This is a free call. You can also visit Care & Protection's website.
Other independent agencies that can help children and young people resolve problems in the ACT
- ACT Ombudsman - The ACT Ombudsman assists to resolve complaints and concerns about government agencies.
- Legal Aid ACT - Legal Aid ACT provides free legal advice and representation to those people who are unable to afford their own lawyer. They aso provides a free Legal Aid Helpline, 9.00am-4.00pm, Monday to Friday, on 1300 654-314.
- Public Advocate of the ACT - The Public Advocate represents the best interests of children and young people involved in the care & protection system, the youth justice system and the mental health system.
Other Children's Commissioners & Guardians around Australia
There is a Children's Commissioner, or Children's Guardian, in all other Australian States and Territories. Click on the following links to find out more.
- New South Wales Commission for Children & Young People
- New South Wales Children's Guardian
- Northern Territory Office of the Children's Commissioner
- Queensland Commission for Children & Young People and Child Guardian
- South Australia Guardian for Children & Young People
- Tasmania Commissioner for Children
- Victoria Office of the Child Safety Commissioner
- Western Australia Commissioner for Children & Young People
Or, click here for a summary table about all of the Australian Children's Commissioners & Guardians.
Some information and resouces about the participation of children and young people
- Involving Children & Young People: Participation Guidelines - Western Australia Commissioner for Children & Young People.
- Taking Participation Seriously - New South Wales Commission for Children & Young People.
Some information about child safe/child friendly organisations
- A Guide for Creating a Child Safe Organisation - Victoria Office of the Child Safety Commissioner.
- Child Safe/Child Friendly Framework - NSW Commission for Children & Young People.
Other agencies and services in the ACT
- ACT Charter of Rights for Children & Young People in Out-Of-Home Care
- ACT Youth Advisory Council
- CREATE ACT
- Youth Coalition of the ACT
Last updated 17 Oct 2012